Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Corvette Responsibility

My first car was a Nissan 240sx. It was beautiful, I poured all my money into it, painted it, lowered it, put huge rims and small tires on it, put a nice sound system in it, put on a nice body kit, and did everything in my adolescent power to make it appear to be a street racer. It was intimidating to look at and listen to drive by with my quad exhaust that bypassed the catalytic converter, so I had straight pipes ran from the engine, which makes everything louder.

“What a piece of crap,” I remember thinking this to myself as I sat at a stop light beside an older Ford minivan. We were at a stop light and there was this super pungent smelling white smoke coming from under his van. His van drove away, the white smoke stayed. 

Embarrassed and frustrated I pushed my beautiful car, that looked the part, to the side of the road. I had done everything to make it look great, but never touched the engine. All the dumb revving of my engine at stop lights had overheated my car and popped a piston in my engine.

Naturally, my parents replaced that car with a Chevrolet Corvette.

What if this is where this writing stopped? This would make no sense. I was outraged writing that. Naturally? What is natural about a kid blowing up his engine and not taking care of a car properly and then being rewarded with an even greater, more powerful, actual performance sports car? None of this is natural. It is illogical that this scenario would play out like that.

I had to take the bus to school for the next 3 weeks, until I could get my car fixed. That’s natural. Not the Corvette story.

The general ideology here is simple: Responsibility is progressive. You are given responsibility of greater things once you prove to handle the lesser of things.
Don’t we often times want to bypass this logic? We feel like we should be a manager, but fail to be the best at our individual contributor role. We wish to get a pay raise, but manage our current finances irresponsibly. We want to write new business, but have not perfected the current business, or even worse, let our current business slide to write new business. 

We often see what we want, but don’t want to put in the work or accept responsibility to get there.

The question for yourself is simple…

How am I handling the responsibility I have now, is it indicative of being given more or greater responsibility?


No comments:

Post a Comment